If you are facing divorce, we know this is quite likely one of the most stressful times of your life.
Individual assets, accumulated assets, gifts and inheritance . . . all of a sudden there’s a tangle of financial assets that must be divided. There are also tax issues, evaluating pension plans or business interests and decisions about your jointly-owned home. Alimony and child support may also now enter the picture.
A Certified Divorce Analyst (CDFA) can help.
At Hefren-Tillotson, our Certified Divorce Financial Analyst (CDFA), will assist you and your lawyer with understanding how the financial decisions you make today will impact your financial future. Our CDFA is certified through the Institute for Divorce Financial Analysts, which is the premier national organization dedicated to financial professionals in the divorce arena.
It is important to point out that a CDFA does not replace your attorney, instead works as part of the divorce team to ensure you make the right financial decisions today to achieve your financial goals post-divorce.
What does a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst Do?
- Determine the short and long-term effects of dividing property
- Identify tax issues
- Analyze pension and retirement plan issues
- Help divide a business interest
- Determine if you can afford the marital home or must seek a more affordable alternative
- Evaluate insurance needs (health, life, disability)
- Project estimated inflation rates and rates of return
- Collect financial and expense data
- Help you identify future financial goals, such as developing a budget, setting retirement objectives, and identifying proper asset allocation
- Provide your lawyer with the financial impact of a settlement to be used as litigation support
If you’re a current client, contact your Hefren-Tillotson advisor, and he or she will engage our CDFA to make sure your financial concerns are safeguarded.
If you are not a current Hefren-Tillotson client, feel free to contact us to schedule a meeting our CDFA.